Re: Marxism and Darwinism

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 17:15:42 EST

    From: Brian D Harper <bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>
    [snip]
    >My point was not whether ultra-Darwinism is itself a typical view among
    evolutionary
    >biologists but whether neo-Darwinists or evolutionary biologists or
    biologists in general
    >promote the "impression" above.

    OK. I understand that the issue of whether "ultra-Darwinism" is a typical
    view was not your point. Nevertheless, in the course of making your point,
    you did state that this group is "a very narrow set of neo-Darwinists", and
    I wanted to draw attention to the fact that this is wrong.

    >Richard suggested I conduct a poll. Within the context of what I wrote, the
    poll
    >should ask:
    >
    >Do you believe that everyone who is skeptical of neo Darwinism is pursuing
    na•ve,
    >impractical, theologically impoverished (whatever that means) ideas.

    Well, since I was referring to a different point from you, that was not the
    poll question I had in mind. I wanted to know whether most professional
    biologists in your university would agree that those who are characterized
    by Gould and Eldredge as "ultra-Darwinians" are "a very narrow set of
    neo-Darwinists".

    Also, I think it's worth pointing out that, when Tom Pearson used the
    expression "naive, impractical (or theologically impoverished) features", he
    was referring to creationism, not to all those who are skeptical of
    neo-Darwinism. This became distorted by Bertvan into the version that you
    are now including in your proposed poll question. In other words, no-one
    here actually expressed such a view.

    [snip]

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/