Marxism and Darwinism

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 14:52:09 EST

    Ted:
    >I know that it is human nature to
    > want to believe that we are much greater than atoms & energy
    > but I'm not convinced that is true.

    Hi Ted,
     We have finally identified our area of disagreement. You don't believe
    "free will" is really free, nor that "creativity" exists as an unknown or
    unknowable force. Can you agree that ours is a philosophical difference?
    Can you understand that your particular philosophical view is required in
    order to accept "random mutation and natural selection" as the explanation
    for macro evolution? Can you acknowledge that anyone who believes organisms
    are more than atoms & energy will be skeptical of such an explanation? It
    may well be that it is "human nature" to believe that we are much greater
    than atoms and energy, but can you prove otherwise? Can you prove that human
    nature in this case is wrong? Your own personal conviction on the matter is
    certainly legitimate grounds for your belief, but would you impose upon
    others? Would you impose it upon all scientists? Would you impose a
    science based upon you philosophical belief upon society as "fact"? Should
    we debate the merits of "natural selection" versus "design" on the basis of
    whether organisms, and especially people, are more than atoms & energy?

    Bertvan