Marxism and Darwinism

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 09:26:37 EST

    Perhaps academic freedom is also healthy in biology. Perhaps ID has been
    rejected

    on its merits rather than on a perpetuation of the
    "impression". Have you considered

    this possibility?

    Hi Brian,
    I consider it legitimate for a materialist to reject any hint of design or
    teleology on what they consider its merits. Most fields are a healthy
    mixture of materialists and non materialists. When the Kansas school board
    did nothing more than refuse to teach that the mechanisms of macro evolution
    are know "facts", they were attacked by the press as being religious
    extremists. The fact that no biologist spoke out in their defense suggests
    those biologists who are not materialists are intimidated by a those who
    appear to have some anti religious axe to grind. If Talk Origins is not an
    official spokesman for biology, biology should find some spokesmen other than
    Dawkins and Gould. I don't know why I'm protesting. This acrimonious
    controversy is going reach the talk shows soon, and that should be great
    entertainment.

    Bertvan