Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 13:07:14 EST

    At 11:47 AM 03/06/2000 -0600, Susan Brassfield wrote:

    >I agree. This, of course, is an excellent illustration of the fact that
    >people don't choose their sexual orientation. You are born one way and you
    >are stuck with it! Religious moralizing only causes psychological damage.
    >Suicide rates among homosexual teens is much higher than among "normal"
    >adolescents.

    This is an example of the phenomenon that if something is said often enough
    it becomes "truth". To say that people are born with a certain type of
    sexual orientation is to make a socio/political statement rather than a
    statement of biological fact. There is NOTHING that proves this
    proposition. On the other hand, there may be things consistent with the
    proposition, as well as things inconsistent with it. Neither of these
    represents proof of it.

    Steve