Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 15:05:28 EST

    >At 11:47 AM 03/06/2000 -0600, Susan Brassfield wrote:
    >
    >>I agree. This, of course, is an excellent illustration of the fact that
    >>people don't choose their sexual orientation. You are born one way and you
    >>are stuck with it! Religious moralizing only causes psychological damage.
    >>Suicide rates among homosexual teens is much higher than among "normal"
    >>adolescents.

    Steve Clark:

    >This is an example of the phenomenon that if something is said often enough
    >it becomes "truth". To say that people are born with a certain type of
    >sexual orientation is to make a socio/political statement rather than a
    >statement of biological fact. There is NOTHING that proves this
    >proposition. On the other hand, there may be things consistent with the
    >proposition, as well as things inconsistent with it. Neither of these
    >represents proof of it.

    the story Steve Jones posted certainly provided compelling evidence.
    Someone tried to make a boy into a girl and failed miserably. Stories have
    begun to surface all other the place where some little boy was turned into
    a girl surgically during infancy and it backfired.

    So what sexual orientation were you when you were born? And at what age did
    you make your choice?

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/