Re: Evolution may be taught in Kansas, along with other ideas

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 22:48:32 EST

    MikeBGene:

    >. . . If it turns out the Kansas decision
    >was inconsequential, all that talk about the crucial importance of
    >macroevolution
    >in a state-wide standardized test is going to be exposed as empty
    >rhetoric. It will be interesting to see if any scientists ever get around
    >scientifically establishing the importance of macroevolution on
    standardized
    >tests. Of course, why take the risk when the rhetoric "sounds" so good?

    Susan:

    >the reason the Kansas decision was not inconsequential, is because it is a
    >step toward a state religion--the Christian religion, specifically
    >fundamentalist protestantism.

    It merely looks this way to you, probably as a function of your extreme
    bias (even hostility) against Christianity. My point had nothing to do with
    subjective opinions about what events might possibly lead to that dreaded
    Christian theocracy that's just always on the horizon. Atheists have been
    whining about the Coming Theocracy since the early 80s. Reagan was
    supposed to bring down Armageddon. The Moral Majority would take away
    our freedom. Pat Robertson would become president and set up concentration
    camps. The Christian Coalition would outlaw abortion and force women to
    remain at home. Blah, blah, blah. Now, I'm supposed to think Kansas is
    the spark that will light the theocracy?

    It's often ironic how many in the atheist community so perfectly mirror the
    fundamentalists they oppose. Among the fundamentalists, there has always
    been a core that keep waiting for the End Times - always on the look out for
    the spark that will bring in the anti-christ. Many atheists seem to share in
    this mentality, except for them, the End Times are when the Christians take
    over. They too are always looking for the slightest nudge to indicate the sky
    is about to fall.

    Tell you what. I'll save your posting and if we're posting here 10 years
    from now,
    we can see how signficant that step was in terms of making a state religion,
    okay? My money says we won't be any more closer to a Christian state
    religion.

    In the meantime, my original point you responded to stands, as you failed
    to address it.

    Mike