Re: Evolution may be taught in Kansas, along with other ideas

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 16:57:30 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 21:27:47 -0600 (CST), Susan B wrote:

    SB>Stephen Jones quoting an an op-ed piece written by Linda Holloway, Chair of
    >the Kansas State Board of Education
    >
    >*this* is where you got this!!! (can you tell my most recent novel is out
    >the door winging its way to the agent and I finally have time to wade
    >through my old e-mails?)

    Susan does not say what the "this" was that I was supposed to have "got"!

    >SJ>As it was the Board actually *increased* the amount of teaching on
    >>evolution that schools in Kansas were required to do. So all the fuss that
    >>Kansas students would suddenly be disadvantaged by the Board's decision
    >>is irrational. On that basis they had been even *more* disadvantaged
    >>before, yet there was no national, indeed world-wide outcry previously!

    To be fair, on re-reading this article, it does not warrant the above claim.

    But there are other articles that I have posted which do justify my claim
    that "the Board actually *increased* the amount of teaching on evolution
    that schools in Kansas were required to do". For example, in a parallel post
    today I cited a summary of the Topeka Capital Journal I hasd posted which
    states "The new standards replaced ones that made little reference to
    evolution" (http://216.116.225.186/stories/122799/kan_evolution27.shtml).

    SB>as so much creationist garbage this bit of flotsom was not substantiated but
    >merely asserted. I've compared the original standards and the new ones. The
    >new ones leave out a substantial amount of extremely basic stuff. So,
    >Stephen, if you continue to parrot this assertion, you'd better find out why
    >she's saying this.

    By "original" standards, I presume Susan means "the original" *draft*
    "standards". But as I have made it abundantly clear, I am talking about the
    "original standards" which *were in effect* for many years prior to July
    1999.

    I have taken steps to get a copy of those original standards *which were in
    effect*, or at least a web page link to them.

    I do not dispute that the KBoE deleted or modified statements about
    macroevolution and the Big Bang which were in the proposed *draft*
    standards.

    >SJ>The U.S. Supreme Court stated in the Edwards vs. Aguillard case, "If the
    >>Louisiana legislature's purpose was solely to maximize the
    >>comprehensiveness and effectiveness of science instruction, it would have
    >>encouraged the teaching of all scientific theories about the origins of
    >>humankind."
    >>
    >>Our children in Kansas deserve no less!

    SB>the implied lie here is that there are other scientific theory about the
    >origins of humankind. There are not. There's a lot of wishful thinking
    >pseudoscience, but nothing else.

    Susan writes as if there is something called *the* "scientific theory about
    the origins of humankind". There is no such thing. There are only
    "scientific" *theories* "about the origins of humankind".

    If Susan thinks there is actually something called *the* "scientific theory
    about the origins of humankind", then she should post it, or where it can be
    found, otherwise she is in fact indulging in "wishful thinking"!

    As a writer Susan should appreciate this next quote, which concerns the
    discovery in 1979 that "scientific" theories "about the origins of humankind",
    do in fact fit the literary form of a "hero myth":

    "Misia Landau was sitting in Yale University's Sterling Library, its leather-
    covered chairs and high book stacks imposing a palpable sense of Ivy
    League academia. It was the middle of her doctoral years, 1979, and she
    was reading intensely The Morphology of a Folk Tale by Vladimir Propp, a
    Russian literary critic. ... Landau ...was preparing to run to the
    anthropology book stacks. ... "When I got to the shelves, the titles leaped
    out at me: The Story of Man...The Adventure of Humanity...Adventures
    with the Missing Link...Man Rises to Parnassus. Looking at them, I knew I
    had made a discovery. ... She had discovered a missing link between
    literature and paleoanthropology...

    Having completed a human-biology degree at Oxford University, England,
    she had enrolled in the graduate anthropology program at Yale and was
    hoping to uncover something significant about the evolutionary history of
    the human brain.....The combination of Landau's inclination to do
    something theoretical and Pilbeam's historical perspective launched the
    dissertation in a new direction: it would be some kind of analysis of early
    paleoanthropological ideas. However, a further ingredient was to be crucial
    in the new venture...literature, Landau's great love as a young girl. ... `I
    started reading this material, and couldn't stop. I started making
    connections between literature and the anthropology texts. I started
    thinking in terms of a plot in these books. It was very exciting. " A friend
    lent her a copy of Propp's Morphology of a Folk Tale, which is a classic
    work in literary analysis.... On the basis mainly of Russian literature, Propp
    describes the hero myths of folk tales in terms of a basic structure they all
    follow: ...

    The more Landau read, the more she perceived connections. "I was sitting
    there, in the Sterling Library, reading Propp, and the folk tales seemed
    so...familiar...I suddenly realized that the tale also described human
    evolution, at least as written about in the books I'd been reading." This was
    the point of discovery. When she got to the paleoanthropology shelves, she
    now recalls, "I realized that I was standing in front of a genre of literature,
    that I could approach the study of human evolution as a study of literature."
    In other words, while Osborn, Gregory, and their colleagues considered
    themselves to have written scientific analyses of human evolution, they had
    in fact been telling stories. Scientific stories, to be sure, but stories
    nevertheless... Each author had his own reasons for casting the
    evolutionary scheme the way he did, but there is order in the apparent
    chaos, argues Landau, because all followed the same basic structure in their
    narratives: the form of the hero myth." (Lewin R., Bones of Contention",
    1987, pp30-33).

    SB>The children in Kansas deserve more than pseudoscience!

    We agree on something! That's why students should be taught the theory of
    evolution with *all* its philosophical assumptions laid bare, with *all*
    its many difficulties frankly admitted, and allow and indeed *encourage*
    students to read criticisms of the theory by outsiders like Phillip E.
    Johnson, who is widely regarded as: "The most respectable academic critic
    of evolution" (Weinberg S., "Dreams of a Final Theory," 1992, p247).

    Anything less than this *is* "pseudoscience"!

    "If it is true that an influx of doubt and uncertainty actually marks periods
    of healthy growth in a science, then evolutionary biology is flourishing
    today as it seldom has flourished in the past. For biologists collectively are
    less agreed upon the details of evolutionary mechanics than they were a
    scant decade ago. Superficially, it seems as if we know less about evolution
    than we did in 1959, the centennial year of Darwin's on the Origin of
    Species." (Eldredge N., "Time Frames: The Rethinking of Darwinian
    Evolution and the Theory of Punctuated Equilibria", Simon & Schuster:
    New York NY, 1985, p14)