Re: Evolution and Rape (was Re: The Kansas Science Education Standards)

From: Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 22:52:21 EST

    MikeBGene:

    >Just think. Evolutionary science may one day be used to teach all
    >the little boys they are potential rapists. It may also be used to
    >enforce a dress code where all the girls need to be covered from the neck
    >down. How ironic.

    oh, right :-) that'll happen!

    Discussion of this book is raging on several lists I'm on at the moment. I
    haven't weighted in on much of it because I think it is so darn near
    impossible to examine one's own culture. It's too much like asking a fish to
    describe water. What you get is a fish's preconcieved *ideas* about water. I
    find that when sociobiologists start working, the subjugation of blacks is
    "natural," oppression of females is "natural" and *amazingly* white European
    males are "naturally" strong, virile leaders/overlords or whatever is
    fashionable at the moment. I keep remembering the "man the mighty hunter"
    fantasy from the '50s and '60s where women subserviantly cook the raw meat
    the men bring home to the cave. Hogwash. The rape thing is hogwash also. I
    bowed out of the feminist movement when men became the Source of All That is
    Evil.

    When you look at neolithic cultures that persist to modern times you see
    partnerships between women and men, close-knit hunter-gatherer bands,
    extended families and diets that are approximately 80% plant-based.

    Susan

    --------
    Peace is not the absence of conflict--it is the presence of justice.
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb