Re: Evolution may be taught in Kansas, along with other ideas

From: Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 22:27:47 EST

    Stephen Jones quoting an an op-ed piece written by Linda Holloway, Chair of
    the Kansas State Board of Education

    *this* is where you got this!!! (can you tell my most recent novel is out
    the door winging its way to the agent and I finally have time to wade
    through my old e-mails?)

    >As it was the Board actually *increased* the amount of teaching on
    >evolution that schools in Kansas were required to do. So all the fuss that
    >Kansas students would suddenly be disadvantaged by the Board's decision
    >is irrational. On that basis they had been even *more* disadvantaged
    >before, yet there was no national, indeed world-wide outcry previously!

    as so much creationist garbage this bit of flotsom was not substantiated but
    merely asserted. I've compared the original standards and the new ones. The
    new ones leave out a substantial amount of extremely basic stuff. So,
    Stephen, if you continue to parrot this assertion, you'd better find out why
    she's saying this.

    >The U.S. Supreme Court stated in the Edwards vs. Aguillard case, "If the
    >Louisiana legislature's purpose was solely to maximize the
    >comprehensiveness and effectiveness of science instruction, it would have
    >encouraged the teaching of all scientific theories about the origins of
    >humankind."
    >
    >Our children in Kansas deserve no less!

    the implied lie here is that there are other scientific theory about the
    origins of humankind. There are not. There's a lot of wishful thinking
    pseudoscience, but nothing else.

    The children in Kansas deserve more than pseudoscience!

    Susan
    --------
    Peace is not the absence of conflict--it is the presence of justice.
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb