RE: The Curse - Upon All Creation or Just Mankind?

From: Mike Tharp <mtharp@exammaster.com>
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 12:00:41 EDT

Hello Charles,

I'm somewhat late in jumping in as I've been extremely busy. I have enjoyed
reading your comments as most of your ideas are in line with my own. I did
want to make a couple of quick comments, though.

You wrote: "By looking at other writings of ancient Hebrews over the
centuries, it seems as though the idea of life after death didn't exist
early on in their thinking. David wrote in Psalm 6 - "No one remembers You
when he is dead. Who praises you from the grave?"

I don't believe the verse you quoted is evidence that the idea of life after
death didn't exist early on in the thinking of Hebrews. There are several
verses that describe the patriarchs being "gathered unto their people" after
their death. This seems to indicate the concept of a spiritual life after
death.

Also, you gave the following example: "At the begining of this semester, I
started teaching my first large college class. I told my students (~100 in
the class) that if anyone missed an exam with an unexcused absence, they
would receive a zero for that exam. It just so happened that a very good
student happened to oversleep his alarm on exam day. I hadn't thought about
the policy very much before I made it. Now I had a chance to really think
this through. A zero on an exam is twice as bad as a 50% failure. I
decided that was too harsh of a penalty, as it amounted to a student failing
two of 5 exams. I know he didn't intentionally oversleep, and I know I've
done exactly what he did in the past. So I changed my mind about the
student's punishment for his wrong actions, and decided to be more merciful.
Is it so obsurd that God could have also decided He really didnt' want them
to die that day, and instead gave a different, less severe punishment!"

I don't believe God ever gives a command or a warning without having fully
thought it through. I would go so far as to say that would be an
impossibility. In fact, in His omniscience, I believe He already knew that
Adam and Eve would disobey His command before He gave it. So no, I don't
think He changed His mind. I have no doubt that Adam and Eve immediately
experienced spiritual death and separation from God the day they disobeyed
Him, but I believe that physical death was also an eventual result.

In Christ,

Mike