Re: Kirk Durston's response

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 19:28:06 EST

    >From: "Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>

    > Biochemical ID theories seem to be of one
    > sort and that is to make a prediction which cannot be disproved at present
    > but may in the future. They sound good because they are wrapped up in amino
    > acids and complicated sums (math) but when you unwrap them they are God of
    > the Gaps pure and simple.

    Agreed. As I have said on numerous occasions (but apparently not believed by
    Denyse):

    The ID argument is never any stronger than this: "In the absence of
    a complete and detailed (causally specific) history of the natural formation
    of X, it is logically permissible to posit that X was formed (at least for
    the
    first time) by the non-natural, form-imposing action of some unidentified,
    unembodied, choice-making agent."

    "Logically permissible" falls far short of "convincingly demonstrated."

    Here's another way to state the basic ID argument: IF the real world of
    atoms, molecules, cells and organisms can do no more than the computational
    model I posit (equipped with a limited menu of formational capabilities and
    dressed with phantom probabilities or gedanken-experiment bits), THEN the
    first actualization of certain biotic systems by natural causes is
    impossible and I am free to posit the necessity of episodes of non-natural
    form-imposing interventions by an unidentified, unembodied, choice-making
    agent.

    The key is to pay attention to the big IF.

    Howard Van Till