Re: The Iota Subscript

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 22:31:02 EST

    richard@biblewheel.com wrote:

    > One reason people reject the study of the alphanumeric structure of
    > Scripture is because of a perceived arbitrariness in methodology and
    > interpretation. Some people seem to think it verges on the occult, and take
    > it as the polar opposite to the cherished scientific method.

    I think, Richard, that you miss the reason why many people like me are not
    interested. Let me state it and see if you can tell me why I am wrong.

    Lets us say that everything that you and Vernon see is really there. I think
    that it is great that you have discovered it. Now what?

    I, and others, already accept the scriptures as inspired writings. Having
    imbedded numerical codes adds nothing to it for me. I'm sure that certain people
    who have a deep interest in mathematical structures would get greatly excited
    about it . However, it adds nothing to Christianity. It is a toy for those who
    are so inclined.

    At the other extreme, nonbelievers are likely to think that this is more Kooky
    Christian stuff. People are always managing to find patterns in the midst of
    chaos. A skeptical mind will not even want to look. I don't want to spend the
    time and nonbelievers certainly will not. So what then is the point?

    Conclusion: You and vernon want everybody to look and see this wonderful
    discovery. However, there only so many hours in a day and it seems like a waste
    of time to me.

    I really do not want to belittle those ideas, but what am I failing to see about
    the notion? I mean the basic notion of finding mathematical codes, not your
    specific results..

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>