Re: The Body of Jesus

From: richard@biblewheel.com
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 16:50:15 EST

    Jim, thank you for your intuitions. I understand and appreciate your
    statement that "it's hard for me to see a real God-purpose for such
    properties." I think this is probably a product of the current intellectual
    fashion which pretty much rejects Typology, Analogy, and even Prophecy in
    biblical exegesis, leaving only naturalistic historical/grammatical and
    textual critical methods as legitimate. The text is rarely, if ever, thought
    of as the result of divine design (even if mediated through apparently
    natural means). This is an historical anomaly. In times past - spanning the
    majority of Christian history - the study of Numbers in Scripture was a
    standard and fully respected part of biblical exegesis. Now this doesn't
    prove that numerical symbolism is a valid hermeneutic, I mention it only to
    show that the inability to see the "real God-purpose for such properties" is
    a modern anomaly. The typical educated Christian has for most of Church
    history both recognized and appreciated Numerical Symbols in Scripture. Here
    is a quote from the online Catholic Encyclopedia on the question of "The Use
    of Number in Scripture" (which, btw, is an excellent resource):

    ===Quote====
    No attentive reader of the Old Testament can fail to notice that a certain
    sacredness seems to attach to particular numbers, for example, seven, forty,
    twelve, etc. It is not merely the frequent recurrence of these numbers, but
    their ritual or ceremonial use which is so significant. Take, for example,
    the swearing of Abraham (Gen., xxi, 28 sqq.) after setting apart (for
    sacrifice) seven ewe lambs, especially when we remember the etymological
    connexion of the word nishba, to take an oath, with sheba seven. Traces of
    the same mystical employment of numbers lie much upon the surface of the New
    Testament also, particularly in the Apocalypse. ... [T]here can be no doubt
    that influenced mainly by Biblical precepts, but also in part by the
    prevalence of this philosophy of numbers all around them, the Fathers down
    to the time of Bede and even later gave much attention to the sacredness and
    mystical significance not only of certain numerals in themselves but also of
    the numerical totals given by the constituent letters with which words were
    written.
    ===End Quote====

    Here's the link to the article: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11151a.htm

    As an aside, the relation between the Number Seven (Sheba) and the idea of
    the Oath mentioned above is an important part of my explanation of God's
    imprint of the Number Seven on Scripture, spanning the Seven Days of
    Creation, the Seven Seals of the Apocalypse, and even the sevenfold
    symmetric perfection of the large-scale structure of Scripture in the form
    of the Canon Wheel. Simply stated, God marked the Bible with the Number
    Seven (Sheba) because it is His Oath (Shaba) - His Word, His Promise! How
    can a soul fail to see a glorious "God-purpose" in His use of this numerical
    symbol that saturates everything from the narrative to the geometric
    structure of His Holy Word? Here's the link to my article on the meaning of
    the Number Seven in Scripture: http://www.BibleWheel.com/Topics/seven.asp

    I also understand and appreciate your comment that "it strikes me that this
    would be pretty meaningless - even verging on occult to a non-Christian. To
    a Christian, most would not need or particularly benefit from these
    observations." I agree that much of this study would be utterly meaningless
    to a non-Christian, but then, so is the entirety of Bible before he comes to
    faith. This study is not intended as a replacement for the plain declaration
    of the Gospel! It is also true that many Christians would not benefit
    directly from this study, any more than they would benefit from an in-depth
    study of Greek or Hebrew if they have no aptitude for languages. The Bible
    is given by God to reveal His infinite Wisdom to Mankind - He is the Master
    Artist, Poet, Linguist, Storyteller, and Mathematician. He is everything to
    me, and He has revealed Himself in His infinite Word. Some people write
    whole books on Biblical Economics, God's instruction on how to handle your
    money. I've never read one, and probably never will. I don't think I would
    "particularly benefit" from such a study. God has given His Word to satisfy
    every soul in all their multifaceted variations. That is part of the great
    glory of His Word.

    But then, I must disagree with the idea that my studies will not benefit
    absolutely everyone on the planet who wants to know and serve the Lord. I
    would agree that if my study were confined to mere numerical relations, no
    matter how significant, they would never attain a general audience since a
    large portion of the population will never really understand or appreciate
    the Beauty of Numbers, let alone God's divine use of them. But this
    intellectual limitation of the masses does not exist for the Bible Wheel.
    Any child can appreciate the simple Circle as the ideal symbol of things
    divine, eternal, and perfect. When enlighted by God's Spirit, the impact is
    overwhelming. The full integrity and divine unity of all Scripture is now
    *visually* evident. It glorifies God and His Word beyond measure and reveals
    the Bible as a great work of divine Art. The radial and bilateral symmetry
    displayed in the Canon Wheel forms a stunning image of the tri-radiant
    cruciform halo used since the 6th century to indicate Deity in Christian
    iconography. This means that the Cross of Christ - the central message of
    all Scripture - is also the basis of its geometric design! The implications
    are staggering. The Wheel reveals more than just the supernatural unity of
    the Holy Bible; it reveals the form of the unity itself as a work of Divine
    Art, an icon of the very Faith taught within its pages!

    Well, this is a small part of the "God-purpose for these properties" as you
    put it. Limitations of space and time prohibit even pointing out all the
    highlights. My cup runneth over! I have about a thousand pages documenting
    this structure on my site.

    Thanks for your kind, honest, and respectful answer to my post Jim. I hope
    others will join in the discussion.

    Richard
    Discover the sevenfold symmetric perfection of the Holy Bible at
    http://www.BibleWheel.com