Re: Academics who actively support Young Earth Creationism

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 16:02:41 EST

    There is nothing in Gen 5 and 6 which suggests changing weather patterns -
    unless you can read anything into God's Word.

    Vernon wrote > In my view, the Lord's reference to the Flood (eg
    Mt.24:38-39) should have
    > settled the matter long ago in favour of its universality. This hasn't
    > happened, but our recent exchanges have exposed a big problem for those
    > Christians who insist otherwise: the first divine covenant (in which the
    > rainbow was given as a sign of God's promise never again to destroy all
    > flesh by the waters of a flood) has to be sacrificed and the character of
    > God impugned!
     What Jesus says refers to Noah and NOT to the universality of the Flood.
    This is eisegesis. It is important to read what Jesus said and not make it
    what we want him to say.
    It is a popular view that the New Testament refers to Gen 1 to `11 in a way
    that supports and demands a literal interpretation - see Kelly Creation and
    Change p131 lists 55 place where a literal interpretation of Early Genesis
    is demanded. Only one of the 55 might point to a literal interpretation -1
    Tim 2, 13-14. The rest are irrelevant to a literal Genesis This is a
    pathetically weak argument but I suppose if you shout it people will listen
    because that is what they want to here.

    When anyone reads Holy Scripture, which is God's Word, they should read it
    carefully and prayerfully and make sure that their interpretation is
    reasonable. I am afraid both Vernon's and Douglas Kelly's interpretations
    are tendentious and false and are not respectful of God's word. It is wrong
    to misuse and misinterpret Scripture in these ways. Otherwise we can make
    them mean whatever we want to , like the two university students who took
    the text "make love your aim" quite literally!

    Please no messing about with Holy Scripture.

    Michael