Re: RFEP and the Heartl of Christianity

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 19:49:22 EDT

    >From: "Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>

    > Surely Christianity is based onm redemption in Christ, George is absolutelty
    > right. More our focus off-centre as does Howard and others we inevitably
    > downplay redemption and thus move in afirst a vaguely religious direction
    > (pace the Peacocke approach) which underplays salvation, then unitarianism,
    > to desim and ultimately to atheism.
    >
    > Sorry to be brief and blunt but I think this is what George is getting at

    Michael,

    Your and George's point is well taken. If you wish to craft a theological
    vision of the world's character and formational history that is uniquely and
    explicitly an orthodox Christian vision, then the focus on Jesus Christ and
    redemption should be there. I have never contested that.

    But that is NOT what the Robust Formational Economy Principle (RFEP) was
    ever intended to represent. I have intentionally kept its theological
    content to a minimum so that it could, as I have explicitly stated, be
    recognized as one of the fundamental presuppositions of all of the
    historical natural sciences. I doubt very much that "a theological vision of
    the world's character and formational history that is uniquely and
    explicitly an orthodox Christian vision" would be able to serve that
    function.

    Howard