RE: Capuchin's show sense of justice/fair play

From: Richard.Kouchoo@firstdata.com.au
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 20:08:48 EDT

    What I'm saying is that materialism cannot truly quantify 'justice' as
    these experiments are alleging to do. You've never heard of pre-meditation?
    That's when a creature (human or animal) intends to do something that will
    bring about a favourable result. The pre-meditator would usually not care
    about the moral consequences. Now this is self-evident in humans and can be
    shown experimentally in animals.

    In this specific experiment, we have pre-meditation in reverse. What you
    have is a monkey that behaves the way it does because it has not received
    what it perceives to be a favourable _ result_. An intention not to
    co-operate then develops based on unfavourable _results_.

    >>> On a purely observational basis, I can't prove that you have any sense
    of
    justice at all. All I can do is observe your behaviour. <<<

    Distinctively, people generally speaking, seem to have an undefined
    _knowledge_ which is post-meditative. A murderer may know that his
    premeditative act of murder is wrong irrespective of his ultimate intent in
    committing the murder. How can you show this experimentally? How can you
    show this in animals?

    Through the use of language we can differentiate between right and wrong.
    We don't need to prove it experimentally. It is self evident. You can,
    through the use of your language and your moral or ontological sense, reach
    a truthful conclusion: "That you can't prove that I have any sense of
    justice." Again out of bound with experimentation.

    >>>There is no difference between how we infer humans have a sense of
    justice and how we determine this for animals.<<<

    Of course there is. You forget that we have the image of God, or are you
    going to deny the revelation of _truth_ in scripture for lack of
    experimental proof? You either except it or reject it, you have the _free
    will_ to do so.

    >>>Even language doesn't help us much here. Just because you say you have a
    highly developed sense of justice doesn't make it so. <<<

    How do you know that? How can you be certain, _absolutely_ certain of that
    fact (or should I say truth)?

    You write that I _say_ it. May be you ought to consider the _duality_ of
    language and moral knowledge in this case - something uniquely human. This
    cannot be shown experimentally and that is my point.

    >>>You might be a sociopath, you might be a robot who goes around
    proclaiming to all that you have a highly developed sense of justice.
    Behavior is all I can use to determine your value system, and you might be
    a robot programmed for the right behavior to fool me.<<<

    And who programmed me? Someone with an obvious sense of justice expressed
    linguistically.

    >>>Shoot, I don't know if you have a pre-meditative state, whatever the
    heck
    that is. prove to this group you have a pre-meditative state--after you
    define your term.<<<

    Pre-meditative state in human beings is self evident as I have already
    said. No court can prima facie convict a murderer if they cannot prove his
    pre-meditation - _mens rea_ (at least in the common law world). Where have
    you been?

    >>> Have you ever compared salaries with your co-workers who are doing the
    same job? what do you feel like when you don't get as much as they?<<<

    You misunderstand because you have an extremely utilitarian view of this -
    in line with most atheists. Are you sure you understand salvation?

    Your position is extremely close to a relativist one. May be you need to
    take a course in basic _Christian_ moral philosphy.

    "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net>@lists.calvin.edu on 18/09/2003
    09:16:39 PM

    Sent by: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu