Re: A Logical Inconsistency in the RFEP?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 19:18:19 EDT

    >From: <richard@biblewheel.com>

    > Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Within the limits of the RFEP as stated, form-imposing
    >> interventions as the means of actualizing novel creaturely
    >> forms could be posited, I suppose, but I would find
    >> them awkward at best. All argumentation by proponents of
    >> YEC, OEC, ID, or any other form of episodic
    >> creationism that appeals to the claim that such an
    >> intervention is necessitated by the Creation's lack of the
    >> requisite resources or formational capabilities, would be
    >> disqualified by the Creation's conformity to the RFEP.
    >> If such form-conferring intervention is unnecessary, how
    >> would a person justify the assertion that it nonetheless
    >> took place?
    >
    > This seems radically inconsistent - logically, theologically, and
    > psychologically. You appear to be willing to accomodate the Christian God
    > just long enough to silence the valid protest of those who believe in Him,
    > and then you immediately toss Him out if anyone suggests He actually did
    > what you allowed in your concession.

    No, Richard, read what I actually wrote. I asked how you would approach the
    matter of justification. You did not answer that question.

    > If you allow that God is *able* to freely confer form under the RFEP then
    > you have absolutely no basis to follow that concession with the statement
    > that IDers can never say He actually did such a thing.

    No, Richard, read what I actually wrote. If the Creation satisfies the RFEP,
    thereby making form-conferring interventions unnecessary, then IDers and
    other episodic creationists can no longer "claim that such an intervention
    is necessitated by the Creation's lack of the requisite resources or
    formational capabilities." The logic seems remarkably straightforward to me.

    > My argument appears to stand. You can not accomodate the Christian God on
    > the one hand and then say He doesn't actually do anything on the other.

    You are here mischievously putting words into my mouth. I am weary of that
    style of engagement. Our conversation is over.

    Howard Van Till