Re: My daughter is a YEC

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 17:03:00 EDT

    "Stephen J. Krogh, P.G." wrote:

    > If "True Christianity" requires one to deny objective reality, and replace
    > it with something that is evidently a false doctrine, why take any of it
    > seriously. If "True Christianity" demanded a geocentric view and a flat
    > earth, Christianity would be wrong and, knowing what I know (I have to deal
    > with the data every day - it is not like I can ignore it) I would have to
    > rescind my beliefs. YEC, Geocentricity and other false doctrines are worthy
    > of attack.

    Obviously, I am not making the point clearly -- or some are intentionally
    ignoring what I have said. I'll try again.

    The notion that God created a universe for men that had all the history "built
    in" is absolutely 100% indistinguishable from one wherein the history actually
    happened. There is absolutely no objective test that can distinguish between
    them. Whenever I suggest this, all I get is a bunch of pooh-poohs. You don't
    like the notion and a lot of others do not as well.

    So instead you turn me into one of your strawmen and then pick it apart.

    Sure their are people who loose their faith because they are mislead by certain
    snake oil salesmen who promote a voodoo science. How many do you think loose
    their faith because they think that all scientists are close minded elitists
    who will not even consider a point of view held by the vast majority of
    Christians who have no interest in science whatsoever? When they do accept the
    viewpoint of scientists, it is but a small step to the view that
    science=atheism because of the manner in which scientists openly endorse what
    is (at best) a deistic view of the universe.

    By ridiculing all possible YEC outlooks, far more harm than good has been done.

    IMO

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must