RE: Can you differentiate - was loose ends

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 21:12:13 EDT

    The way you tell a real from a fake flint scraper is via the retouch work on
    the cutting edge. One can see the tiny uniform flaking required to sharpen
    the edge. If the piece doesn't have pressure flaking on the edge, then it
    probably isn't a stone tool. Soft tools like antlers were used to do this.

    And in detecting design in stone tools, we know that the makers behaved like
    us, thus we can anthropomorphize the desgner.