Can you differentiate - was loose ends

From: Darryl Maddox (dpmaddox@arn.net)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 09:24:10 EDT

    Hello Glenn, Geoge, and others reading this and the related postings.

    I don't know whether or not a sieve is a formula for generating a sequence,
    seems different in procedure to me but am willing to let each have his own
    definition, at least they are ways of determning which numbers are and which
    are not members of a sequence but it seems to me the real issue of
    "created" vs "natural" is the ability to unambiguously determine, by a
    specified and objective methodolgy which "things" were "created" and which
    are the result of a natural process and I think this is what Glenn (and
    possibly others) has been trying to say. Perhaps two examples will make
    this more clear to those who (like myself) don't speak mathematics as a
    primary or even secondary language.

    1) When I was at geology field camp the students were forever picking up
    pieces of flint thinking they had found a piece of an arrow head or some
    other artifact. The problem was no one could come up with a way to tell the
    real, but less easily identifiable artifacts such as scrapers from regular
    pieces of flint. As Dr. Harris said, "either most of these are natural or
    there were a lot of indians here for a long time and they weren't very good
    at making stuff". Last year I found a piece of flint and thought it was
    just that and nothing more - until last week when I happened to pick it up
    in such a way that it fit naturally and comfortably into my right hand and
    the lower front edge was round and sharp, there was a small indention on the
    left side for my thumb (I am right handed) and small flat plane on the top
    front part for my index finger - a scraper? I don't know but it would be a
    good one whether natural or not (and I suspect not because of the lack of
    very small chip marks around the front lower edge).

    2) When I did my masters thesis in which I developed a new technique, my
    advisor made me do two additional tests of the technique to be sure there
    was no subjective bias in interpreting the "data" or operating the
    equipment. In both tests I showed a 3rd party how to operate the equipment
    and what to look for on the readout. Then I had two samples for which I
    alone knew the answer but the answer was known from field data, not a lab
    test and certainly not from using my technique or equipment. I wrote the
    answers on pieces of paper and gave each to a third party who was not
    allowed to be in the same part of the building with me and the people who
    were going to run the tests. Then I used a 3rd sample to teach the people
    how to use the equipment and after they had demonstrated some proficiency
    with it I gave them the real sample (but did not put it on the equipment or
    do the equipment adjustments that had to be done each time a new sample was
    put on it) and left the room. The first of the 3rd parties was actually two
    people, my thesis and another committee memenber, and they took their
    sample, put it on the equipment, made the adjustments, took their readings,
    and wrote their concensus answer on a piece of paper and came out of the
    room. By this time I had gone and gotten the person (another geology major)
    who had the piece of paper on which I had written the answer they should
    have obtained if the technique was valid and returned. When the two pieces
    of paper were compared the committe members agreed their answer matched the
    field data answer within the normal variation for data of that type. For
    the second 3rd party trial a journalism student was shown how to use the
    equipment and the same procedure followed but with another sample for which
    the answer was known from field data.

    When this was all finished the committee members agreed the procedure was
    objective and the technique was valid and the equipment set up was adequate
    to obtain answers of the required accuracy and precision.

    Thus we have two examples: in the first there was either no objective
    criteria or insufficient data to determine a concensus answer and in the
    second there was a specified procedure, anyone could learn it, the theory
    was sound, and the data conclusive. That is what Glenn is calling science.
    Whether we call the other science or not I don't know. But then neither do
    I know if psychology, psychiatry, economics, sociology or many other things
    (including sometimes my own field of geology) are really science as opposed
    to educated guessing. Differentiating seems to get difficult when we go
    from the deductive, calculating procedures which dominate some sciences to
    the inductive procedures which dominate others, but even in these, there is
    at least in principle a way to know if the inferences made from a set of
    data and by a set of logical rules are correct, there is eventually an
    objective answer. Those who are or have been in natural resource
    exploration know that eventually the hole gets drilled (or the mining
    prospect evalutated) and then you know, by objective means what the answer
    is, though you may have thought the odds were good enough to risk your money
    on that answer when all you had was a lot of things that indicated the odds
    were good enough to take the chance. Does anyone remember N-rays? If not
    look it up. You will learn something about subjective interpretations of
    data.

    Darryl