Re: loose ends

From: Michael Spence (mspence01@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 04:32:55 EDT

    Glenn wrote:

    Since I know a bit of Mandarin and a bit of Gaelic, I can whip up another
    test if anyone wants to take it. and if some Gaelic or Chinese speaker
    wants to take the test, I can use codes to encode them and see if they can
    detect the design. But alas, ID is not a 'scientific technique to detect
    design'. Why do I know? Because no one ever takes this test.

    I hate to sound smug, and I'm not trying to be, but doesn't "whipping up another test"
    suggest design? When you type something that is gibberish, haven't you designed it?
    It doesn't mean anything, but haven't you designed it, as in intentionally brought it to be?
    Even though I understand what you're saying regarding ID, I don't grasp what the test's
    purpose is, what exactly it really tests, and what it reveals besides some interesting
    linguistic lessons.