Re: Sin?

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 13:17:37 EDT

    My friend Wally, making two points, writes (in part): "I believe (and I
    think others may as well) think that you have chosen the one that does
    the most amount of harm. If nothing else, scripture (Paul) calls us
    to avoid what others call sin so as to not offend them and weaken their
    faith. If we follow your prescription, we favor a minority and offend a
    majority -- contrary to the dictates of scripture."

    Yes, I understand your position here, although I cannot see that your
    argument holds. Surely you would still hold your position if the present
    minority/majority ratio were different.

    "What do say about the others who conclude the opposite of your Christian
    scholars. Are the other Christian scholars inferior to those whom you
    cite?
    Are yours the majority opinion of the minority opinion? Are all the
    Christian
    scholars who disagree with you "stupid, incompetent or malevolent."

    I have carefully avoided saying this. The most I have said about the
    reputable scholars, such as Gagnon, is that his arguments are not
    persuasive.

    There is one guy on "your side" I do regard as being in some combination
    of the terms "Stupid, incompetent and malevolent." That is the sorry
    piece of garbage known as the Rev Fred Phelps (I know -- Jesus does not
    make "junk." But in Fred's case this is hard to believe).

    Check him out at www.godhatesfags.com

    Every day Fred updates the site to remind surfers (with visual imagery)
    just how long Matthew has been burning in hell for his actions as a gay
    teenager.

    Caveat. Not for one second do I think anyone on this list condones Fred's
    position. But understand who your supporters are.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!