Re: Sin?

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 13:07:31 EDT

    Rich wrote, in part: "Ah, then you have noticed the progressive
    liberalization of the churches and the move away from true religion to
    post modern socializing."

    <chuckle>

    Yeah. The first breakaway from true religion was 140 years ago when,
    although the Bible clearly not only condoned, but commanded slavery, some
    liberal Christians (and a lot of others) decided, none -the-less, that
    owning slaves was a "bad thing." Read the fundamentalist sermons of those
    times. Whew! If the Bible is your "manufacturer's handbook," you cannot
    refute them.

    Then in the 1960s, some other liberal Christians decided that maybe
    separation of the human race by color was also a "bad thing," even though
    many Southern preachers ranted and raved about how they KNEW God's will
    on these matters. And Jim Crow was (mostly) defeated. I lived in the
    South in those days. To oppose segregation meant you were not a "real"
    Christian.

    Then in the 80s some liberal Christians decided that maybe we ought not
    discriminate against some human beings because of the shape of their
    skins, and, in some denominations at least, women were accepted into
    first class membership, being eligible for church offices, including the
    ministry.

    In the 21-teens, I think, we will (not all of us, of course -- the
    www.godhatesfags.com folks will always be a part of our society) begin to
    understand that gays and lesbians are human beings too. But it will take
    some time.

    Of course, Jesus was a liberal. <G>

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com