Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 14:38:49 EST

    You've touched on the heart of the issue in your last sentence. So what
    will you/we do with and toward these who are also part of God's
    creation, also "neighbors", also brothers & sisters, and fellow
    participants in our domain of stewardship in His creation. Oh, and I
    suppose we must also be mindful of those "judging" prohibitions, and the
    egalitarian nature of sin (in the view of many of us). "Just as I am"
    comes to mind.

    This is not an easy or trivial matter. However, I am persuaded at the
    end of the day that attitudes and actions that result in alienation do
    not reflect the patterns modeled for us in the life and teachings of
    Christ, which often transcended the traditional and written heritage.
    Because we live in the light of the additional revelation afforded us
    through the life of Christ, I'm pretty sure that we are now held to that
    higher standard. Also, best I recall, conviction is not our job. We may
    be amicus curii, but we are notably neither judge nor jury. We are left
    very little wiggle room by the relational examples Jesus, uncomfortable
    or not. JimA