Re: Noahic Covenant

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 14:44:15 EDT

    Dick,

    I am puzzled as to why you should send me so comprehensive a list of
    extracts from ancient writings proving the reality of the Flood. This
    hardly addresses the matters raised in my email of 17 July. And whilst I
    appreciate you have spent much time studying this event, may I ask whether
    that included giving due weight to items #1, #2 and #3 below? If so,
    perhaps you would share your reasons for dismissing these arguments which
    favour a global flood. Further, may I take it that you fully agree with my
    opening sentence?

    Sincerely,

    Vernon

    Vernon wrote:

    The true nature and extent of the Flood can hardly be downplayed as a
    "non-essential" matter for the Christian because our correct reading of
    earth history rests largely upon this one event - as I'm sure you must
    agree. Let me reiterate the principal reasons for my believing it to have
    been _global_:

    (1) The logic and power of the narrative and its sequel.

    (2) The need to build an ark surely suggests there would be no higher ground
    to which Noah could migrate (undoubtedly the simplest solution to the coming
    problem - had it been available).

    (3) The testimony of two NT commentators - one of whom had certainly walked
    with Jesus. In the Greek of Heb.11:7 and 2Pet.2:5 we find the word "kosmos"
    used; in the context of these passages this can only be rendered _world_ .
    Had _land_ been intended, then the word "chora" was available and would
    surely have been used. The inevitable outcome of the event is confirmed by
    the Lord Himself in the parallel passages, Mt.24:37,38 and Lk.17:26,27.