Re: Noahic Covenant

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 16:26:46 EDT

    Gordon,

    As I have pointed out recently in connection with the giving of the rainbow, I
    believe the biblical data suggests the Antediluvian world to have been quite
    different from the one we know. The longevities of those named in the
    line from Adam
    to Noah surely suggest that. But, regarding what was going on under
    the water at the
    time of the Flood - and beyond - you must know I was not speaking of
    the dissolution
    of the entire crust of the earth. One can imagine that some areas would remain
    relatively unscathed - apart from the head of water above.

    You may be interested to know the result of my internet search on the
    topic "trees
    tolerance to flooding". Here is an extract from Table 1 of
    http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/n_resource/flood/toler.htm. It deals with the
    relative tolerance of trees and shrubs to flooding during the growing
    season, Lower
    Mississippi Valley and Missouri River Divisions. (source: Whitlow and
    Harris 1979):

    Fraximus pennsylvanica (a variety of ash) - very tolerant: able to
    survive deep,
    prolonged flooding for more than 1 year.

    We further read at http:/www.alphazee.com/olive-leaf/olea.html that
    the olive tree
    is a member of a plant family that includes the ash...

    A little simple arithmetic reveals that Noah's second sending out of the dove
    occurred some 271 days after the rains began. Clearly, therefore, we
    have no problem
    with the olive leaf!

    What you have to say concerning the Tigris and Euphrates rivers
    indicates that your
    thinking is in "Post-diluvian" mode. I believe the originals were
    obliterated by the
    global flood, re-established following the flood, and given the same
    names by Noah.

    Noah eventually landed not that far from where he boarded the ark, ie
    this vessel
    simply went up and came down with little lateral movement. Why,
    therefore, should
    the location of the garden of Eden present a problem?