Re: Noahic Covenant

From: Lucy Lear (lucylear@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 17:19:08 EDT

    >>Perhaps you will now be prepared to comment on the three points I advanced
    >>as
    proof that the Flood was indeed global - as all the principal Bible
    translators
    have assumed - judging from their rendering of the narrative.

    Vernon: In my judgement, to insist that the flood was global in the face of
    so much contrary evidence is incredibly useless. Particularly since you (and
    others favoring that position) are totally unable to come up with any
    evidencs or arguments which suggest it except some particular
    interpretations of scripture.

    If we had no scientific evidences at all which were in conflict with the
    global flood idea, then one (of many) interpretations of scripture would be,
    indeed, that the flood was global. Even then, interpretations which assumed
    only that it was local would be theologically respectable, and even an
    interpretation which said all of Gen 1-11 consisted of myth would be OK. We
    all bring to the table our own presuppositions, culture, knowledge, etc.

    But we have enough scientific evidences, as well as logical arguments
    (volume of water, etc.) to KNOW the global flood concept is sufficiently
    flawed as to make it unworthy of serious consideration.

    Suppose we had no scriptures, Vernon. Is there ANY scientific fact that
    would suggest a global flood? I think there are none.

    As to your treatment of Dick, I reiterate that it disgusts me.

    LL (off the list now. Not mad at anybody -- just better places to chat)