Re: Noahic Covenant

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 18:52:55 EDT

    On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

    > But have you not considered that the Antediluvian world might have been quite
    > different from what we have today? Our great mountain ranges and deep ocean
    > trenches were probably non-existent then; the seas were relatively
    >shallow and
    > the land flat. We read in Gen.7:11 that the opening of the "windows
    >of heaven"
    > (releasing the "waters above the firmament") was accompanied by the
    >breaking up
    > of the "fountains of the great deep" (presumably, subterranean
    >reservoirs). The
    > implications are, surely, that forces of unimaginable ferocity were
    > unleashed in
    > the earth's crust at that time which - assuming the Flood to have
    >been global -
    > would have reshaped the whole of its surface over the coming months
    >and years -
    > and adjusted Flood- and sea- levels accordingly. Such a scenario
    >presents none
    > of the problems you suggest - would you not agree?

    Vernon,

    You ought to be concerned with the problems this scenario presents with
    respect to being consistent with the Genesis account. Your scenario was
    developed by Seventh Day Adventists from the writings of Ellen White and
    not from the Bible.

    How could an olive leaf emerge unscathed from the sort of flood that you
    describe? Why would the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers have survived? Why
    would Genesis try to give a detailed map as to where the Garden of Eden
    was geographically in terms of places existing after the Flood and even
    named after descendants of Noah?

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado