RE: Saddened by ad hominen attack

From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:07:45 EDT

    James Mahaffy Thursday, July 18, 2002 3:36 PM

    > While
    >Jon's credentials are good, as a group YEC have more than one leader
    >that has credential that are not that great. But what we should look
    >at is the arguments and perhaps the science of the person. On this
    >list, I respect Glenn for his reading and command of the anthropology
    >literature - although as far as I know he has no advanced degrees in
    >that area.

    Thank you for the kind words, but that is not why I am writing. I just
    wanted to point out that Richard Leakey droppped out of college yet no one
    doubts his credentials in anthropology. This is from a book on the history
    of early anthropological efforts in Ethiopia, by one of the participants:

            "Johanson saved his most rabid criticisms, however, for all
    things Leakey, especially Richard, who by then was making major
    discoveries at Lake Turkana. Richard had previously worked one
    field season with the Omo Research Expedition, as leader of a
    Nairobi-based team, a position he had inherited fro his father.
    Originally Louis was supposed to lead the Kenyan team, but his
    health made this impossible. According to Johanson, the notion
    that Richard was qualified to lead anything scientific was
    ludicrous. When Richard took over leadership of the team in 1967,
    he was 23 years old (one year younger than Johanson), lacked a
    college degree, and had not published a single scientific paper
    (but then neither had Johanson). His only claim to fame, according
    ot Johanson, was his daddy's name." Jon Kalb, Adventures in the
    Bone Trade, (New York: Copernicus Books, 2001), p. 76

    Who is going to say Richard isn't qualified now? He still doesn't have a
    college degree.

    personal stories of struggle