Re: Burgy's Testimony

From: douglas.hayworth@perbio.com
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 18:16:04 EDT

    I certainly wouldn't want to change the purpose or character of the list by
    recommending that everyone post his/her full Christian testimony to the
    list, as if each person needed somehow to give evidence of his/her
    authentic faith. However, I do think that it would be very helpful to have
    each person provide a brief (like 200-300 words at most) introduction to
    the group. Even before Burgy posted his testimony, I mentioned the
    following to Terry as a proposal for the listserve:

    "I've got a proposal. How about taking one-week each year during which
    subscribers are encouraged to post a _brief_ autobiographical introduction?
    This will allow all of us to know more about who each person is, what they
    do for a living, why they are interested in the list serve, basic
    theological tradition, area of scientific interest or training, etc. I
    have seen a number of posts recently in which one person supposes something
    about another person (e.g, "presbyterian minister" or that a person is a
    YEC) that isn't correct. Each person can post such a message with the
    subject "<name>'s introduction". I for one, would file these introductions
    and refer to them later as I read and contemplate people's posts."

    By having a very brief orientation to who person are, we can appreciate
    better where they're coming from when they post a brief comment. Since
    each person can say whatever they want about themselves, there shouldn't
    have to be anything about these introductions that could be used "against"
    a person in later exchanges. I also understand that some people want to be
    invisible lurkers only, and that's okay. No one would be required to post
    an introduction (nor could such a requirement be enforced). Nevertheless,
    I can't imagine why most of us wouldn't mind stating who we are. I want to
    be able to respect people's views, and knowing more about their identity
    helps to appreciate their perspectives better, even if they are different
    than mine.

    What do you think?

    Douglas Hayworth
    (for more about me--if you care--see PSCF 52 (4):222-227).
    I work as a technical assistance representative now at Pierce Biotechnology
    in Rockford, IL.

                         Walter Hicks
                         <wallyshoes@minds To: george murphy
    <gmurphy@raex.com>
                         pring.com> cc: asa <asa@calvin.edu>
                         Sent by: Subject: Re: Burgy's Testimony
                         asa-owner@lists.c
                         alvin.edu

                         07/17/02 08:10 AM

    Points well taken, George.

    That's why you are the list's theologian :-)

    Walt

    george murphy wrote:

    > Walter Hicks wrote:
    >
    > > BurgyÃs Testimony
    > >
    > > I think that Burgy has shown incredible courage in posting his
    personal
    > > testimony on this list. I further believe that the rest of us should
    > > follow suit. I know that my own cannot be anywhere near as
    compelling,
    > > but I am willing to post if even one other person can agree that this
    is
    > > a good idea --- and maybe even they do not.
    > >
    > > BTW: we recently did this in a Stephen Ministry meeting at the church
    > > attend. The results were truly amazing and make one wonder why we dare
    > > not more be far more open to our neighbors. There are many ways to
    come
    > > to know the Lord and you must hear those of others to understand his
    > > amazing grace.
    >
    > I'm sorry that I have to disagree. Burgy felt, because of
    > to some of his comments, that it was necessary to make a statement about
    his
    > own experience and faith. I found that helpful and what I say here is
    not
    > at all intended to be critical of either his posting that statement or
    the
    > contents of his post.
    > But I do not think it will be helpful for everyone on the list
    > follow suit and change the character of the list. Unless there is
    obvious
    > reason to think otherwise I think we should put the best construction on
    > everything & assume that others approach discussions from a standpoint
    of
    > genuine Christian faith. How we may have come to faith is, _for the
    > purposes of the discussions for which this list is intended_, secondary.
    > Faith, in the deepest sense of trust, is primary. Theology,
    > thinking about & expressing our faith, is something secondary, but not
    > thereby unimportant. Science and technology call us to serious
    theological
    > reflection. Our own experiences will affect our theology & the ways in
    > which we express it, but personal testimony of anyone after the apostles
    > cannot be foundational.
    > In addition, sharing of "testimonies" subjects people to the
    > temptation to make the presentation of their own experiences more
    > gut-wrenching, heart-warming, inspiring &c than that of the last person.
    It

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>