Balancing Equations

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 00:02:01 EDT

    God ń "The great Mathematician"

    This is after all a ěScience and Christianityî mix of things.

    Once somebody gave me a book which postulated that: since God created
    the universe and also made spiritual laws, then these laws must be
    consistent. In other words, the long-term nature of the universe demands
    that ěgoodî prevail. I thought it was both interesting and compelling in
    content.

    Unrelated to that, I have often wondered (as many others have): ěWhy the
    incarnation?î

    Several things seemed somewhat straightforward.

    1.) Then God certainly could be in a position of knowing what we are
    going through.
    2.) Then God could present an example of a ěperfect lifeî
    3.) In the resurrection, God has shown the future to those who follow
    him

    But the tough one is the death on the cross. That is something that
    confounds Spong and others. Why that "sacrifice"? In fact, what is
    ěsacrificeî all about? Does God really want goats and virgins --- even
    his own son -- for sacrifice? Of course not! The ěsacrificeî is one made
    by the human as he/she brings the ěfirst fruitsî to God. Similarly we
    see God bringing his son as a ěsacrificeî. But why was it really
    necessary? I'm certain that theologians have answers --- but the truth
    is usually characterized by several answers from several points of view.

    Hence I propose that it also is to ěbalanceî the (Scientific) equations
    that God has lain down on this universe --- or is otherwise obliged to
    follow. We all know that humans have inflicted incredible evil upon one
    another. If good is to cancel evil, then how can it be done? How does
    GOOD=EVIL happen for us humans? I propose that Jesusí death on the cross
    has balanced these necessary moral equation(s).

    Anyhow, it is an idea -- and not ideas are good ones.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must
    exist true but not provable statements.