Moon proclaims he is messiah! Impact on ID?

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 20:41:26 EDT

    In a move which surely must cause a bit of embarrassment for the ID group,
    Phil Johnson and other ID members, Rev. Sun Myung Moon has proclaimed "that
    Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha - even God - have told him he is now 'the Savior,
    Messiah and King of Kings of all of humanity!'"
    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/3641062.htm

    This may have some impact on the ID movement but to explain why requires
    some background.

    Keith Miller, in Dec. 1999 published a note with Jonathan Well's web papers
    proclaiming that he was a Moonie. Keith attached a note from Phillip Johnson
    at the bottom. Johnson acknowledges that he knew Wells is a Moonie but
    frankly expresses a big yawn for that knowledge. I posted a response to
    Keith's note outlining what I viewed as the ID movement's lack of concern
    for Scriptural Christianity.
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199912/0024.html.

    I also had been having an e-mail conversations with Paul Nelson just
    before Keith's note. Paul had already confirmed to me that Wells was a
    Moonie and a fine fellow. He said that they merely disagreed about theology.
    I should hope so! But at what point do our attempts to create an apologetic
    become worthless for our faith?

    I think the question for the evangelical supporters of the ID movement and
    the Discovery Institute is: Should we support someone with views like this?
    Will Nelson and colleagues like Steve Meyer, in light of Moon's
    proclamation that he is the 'King of King for all humanity!" continue to
    encourage evangelical publishers to publish Well's stuff? Wells who now must
    believe that Sun Myung Moon is the Messiah seems to hold values quite at
    odds with conventional Christianity. It seems to me that ID has become so
    theologically neutral as to be of no value to Christianity.

    personal stories of struggle