Re: Challenge #2

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 17:31:33 EDT

    Terry writes:

    > I know that this may be a controversial question, but here goes: "Is
    > it possible to rape one's own wife?" If the answer to that question
    > is "no", then clearly, these women have not been raped, even though
    > they may have been made wives by no choice of their own. But then hasn't
    > it only been fairly recently that women had much say in who would
    > be their husbands?

    I believe that spousal rape is a crime in a number of state jurisdictions,
    if not all. It is well known that one form of physical abuse of a wife by
    her husband is to forcibly rape her as a way of humiliating and terrifying
    her.

    In a society in which women have few or no rights and are treated as
    property, it may be difficult or impossible for a woman to seek redress for
    such an abuse of her person. Once again we have here an example of the
    difficult issue of whether moral behavior is to be considered an expression
    of local or historical custom, or whether there are certain elements of
    morality that are the expression of natural law (in the Thomistic sense):
    in Christian terms, are there some actions that are simply wrong or immoral
    because they consistute an abuse of someone who bears the _imago dei_? I
    would contend that there are. If that be the case, then rape is rape,
    whatever the circumstances.

    Bob Schneider