Understanding prophecy, Part 2

From: Allen Roy (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 02:01:18 EDT

    I seem to be having problems dealing with a net that ONLY deals with .eml or
    .txt files. Here is what I was trying to post earlier but with links.

    As part of the issue of whether Daniel was written by one person or
    several, some interesting points about the literary structure of Daniel
    may provide some evidence.

    As I am certain most everyone on this list knows, Hebrew poetry is
    composed of chaism of various sorts. Rather than meter and rhyme,
    Hebrew poetry consists of an assortment of thoughts arranged or
    juxtaposed with each other in various ways. It is curious that the
    elements that make up the book of Daniel have been arranged in a double
    chaism.

    The .html chart at
    http://www.tagnet.org/anotherviewpoint/about/DanielChiasm.htm
    illustrates this chaism arrangement. Here are some interesting points.
         1. The first chaism is written entirely in Aramaic, the second chaism is
    written in Hebrew.
         2. The first level (A) consists of prophetic sections that deal with
    the general population of the world. Level B deals with God's people.
    Level C has to do with human kings. And level D has to do with God's
    King -- the Messiah.
         3. The imagery of the first and last prophetic sections of level A
    deals with kings -- a metal statue of King Nebuchadnezzer in Daniel 2
    and the kings of the North and South of Daniel 11-12.
         4. The imagery of the two middle prophecies (ch. 7 and 8) consists of
    an assortment of beasts.
         5. The focus of the book is on the prophecy of Level D -- the 70 week
    prophecy concerning the messiah.

    The next chart is a more detailed look at the chaism for level C and D
    concerning Jerusalem and the Messiah of the 70 week prophecy. It helps
    clear up who is who in this somewhat complex prophecy.

    http://www.tagnet.org/anotherviewpoint/about/MessiahChiasm.htm

    All this is of importance to the topic of authorship because can such
    symmetry and complexity be expected from an assortment of unknown,
    gullible redactors or is it a product of a single, intelligent mind?

    Allen