RE: space.com dates Noah's flood to 2350 BC

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 09:32:51 EDT

    I wouldn't say that we ignore the catastrophic events. But we can't accept
    any and every claim as valid without some evidence. Looking at the picture
    of the crater, reading the account, I have several questions about this
    being a crater at all. First, it is 2 miles wide. THat is about twice as
    large as Berringer meteor crater in Arizona and that impact would have
    killed everything for a large distance. I can't recall the figure, but I
    once read that deer in New Mexico would have died from that blast.

    Secondly, they speak of a ring inside the bowl shaped depression as being "
    a classic feature of meteor impact craters." THis ignores the fact that
    multipole ring craters are classic features of only the very largest (many
    10s to hundreds of miles wide) craters. This one is too small for a
    multiring crater.

    Thirdly, if it is a crater, drilling into it should find shock metamorphism
    which is the metamorphism of rocks due to high pressure, short duration
    events. THere are characteristic mineral fabrics associated with this
    phenomenon. That is the sine qua non of meteoric impact, yet I find no
    discussion of that

    Fourthly, meteor impacts always have what I call splatter and spray. THere
    should be a layer of debris and ejecta found far from the crater. Young
    craters on the moon have what are called rays, which are lineaments of this
    ejecta. I don't see that on the photo.

    Fourthly, there is salt in the area and salt domes. Just east of this spot
    are some of the most interesting salt glaciers of Iran. How do we know that
    this isn't a dissolution collapse feature caused by the dissolution of salt
    in an underlying salt dome?

    >We all know by now that events happen (at unpredictable intervals and
    >over VERY short time intervals) and we must be aware of these things ---
    >instead of naively applying our own notions of the ability of so-called
    >"science" to RETRO--PREDICT the PAST over millions of years.

    Catastrophic events happen but not everything claimed to be one IS one. We
    shouldn't naively believe every claim either.

    personal stories of struggle