Faith (was RE:)

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 09:04:21 EDT

    No, Burgy, we have already LOST. The people look to their preachers, their
    Campus Crusade leaders, their navigator leaders etc rather than to what they
    can see with their own eyes.

    Faith is a funny thing. It gives one the certainty 'of what is not seen'.
    When applied to areas of science/religion conflict, it means that data can
    be ignored. What is seen isn't important any longer and all that we say
    falls on deaf ears and blind eyes.

    To me, one of the interesting things is that faith in other religions does
    the very same thing. Look at the faith of the Islamic world which seems to
    firmly believe that the videos of Osama taking responsibility for 911 aren't
    real, were doctored, or they believe that he isn't really saying what he is
    clearly saying. It makes people believe the authors of books who tell
    incredible stories of how golden plates with Egyptian Reformed hieroglyphics
    were found in North America. It makes people believe that vials filled with
    pig's blood are really filled with 'the blood of a saint'. It makes people
    think that dark spots on the ground is the newly liquified blood of a saint
    instead of bat urine (Simon Winchester,The Map that Changed the World,
    (London: Viking, 2001), p.284)
    It makes people believe guys like Jim Jones, of whom observational data
    should have informed his followers that he was going to kill them. Somehow
    faith must be tempered by observational data.

    personal stories of struggle