Re: Framework interpretation

From: Steve Bishop (stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 17:34:03 EDT

    Hi Terry,

    >From: "Terry M. Gray" <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
    >To: asa@calvin.edu
    >Subject: Re: Framework interpretation
    >Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:34:34 -0600
    >
    >Steve,
    >Sender: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu
    >
    >Both Kline and Irons address this objection in the articles I cited.
    >Both of these guys are in the same denomination as E.J. Young and are
    >fully aware of his objection here. The more recent articles were
    >written well after Young's book. The gist of the argument has to do
    >with the unending character of the 7th day. Kline's article in PSCF
    >fully develops the notion of the upper vs. lower register. Kline
    >writes "As for the seven-day scheme, it belongs to the upper register
    >and is, therefore, to be understood figuratively, not literally." The
    >upper register activity is the pattern for the Sabbath ordinance.
    >
    >As with many theological differences, we may disagree on whether or
    >not this is convincing.

    Absolutely!

    >I happen to think it is. I also know many
    >people other than you who do not. However, it cannot be said that the
    >framework people do not address this issue.

    A good point; I wasn't implying that they hadn't: only that it wasn't
    satisfactorily addressed (at least to my mind!)

    Kline explicity does so
    >in his 1958 and his 1996 articles.

    <snip>

    It seems to me that Klineís upper and lower register is rather strained and
    esoteric; and some would argue tends towards dualism! I would doubt that
    the original readers would have seen anything like that in it!

    Klineís argument is cyclic: his argument rests upon accepting the
    two-register approach; to paraphrase Blocher, Kline betrays the _a priori
    desire_ to find literary language. I donít feel that he has satisfactorily
    addressed the first point of Aalders.

    Steve