Framework interpretation

From: Steve Bishop (stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 14:55:25 EDT

    Terry wrote:

    <snip>
    >One position that is one of three prominent viewpoints in my church
    > >circles (conservative Presbyterianism in English speaking countries) >is
    >what is called the "framework view". (The other views are 24 hour >days and
    >day-age--a link to the discussion in the Presbyterian Church >of America is
    >at http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Bible-Science/PCA-Report2000.html .) I
    > >will give you some links to some on-line articles and point you to >some
    >other writings that you might get access to. This view takes a >literary
    >view of Genesis 1 based on internal arguments (usually its >advocates take
    >a more historical/chronological approach to the rest of >Genesis. Professor
    >Meredith G. Kline, Professor of Old Testament at >Gordon->Conwell Seminary
    >and Westminster Seminary in California has >been one of >the most scholarly
    >advocates of this view.

    E J Young in his Studies in Genesis One (P&R, 1975) reiterated the comments
    of G C Aalders:

    "Aalders then adduced two considerations which must guide every serious
    interpreter of the first chapter of Genesis. (1) In the text of Genesis
    itself, he affirmed, there is not a single allusion to suggest that the days
    are to be regarded as a form or mere manner of representation and hence of
    no significance for the essential knowledge of the divine creative activity.
    (2) In Exodus 20:11 the activity of God is presented to man as a pattern,
    and this fact presupposes that there was a reality in the activity of God
    which man is to follow. How could man be held accountable for working six
    days if God himself had not actually worked for six days? To the best of the
    present writer's knowledge none has ever answered these two considerations."
    (p 47)

    Unless these points are fully addressed it seems that the Framework
    interpretation/hypotheisis flounders.

    Steve