The origin of oil

From: JW Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 18:09:07 EDT

    Glenn -- is it a fact that all the oil we pump up from the earth has its
    origin in organic (i.e. from once living) material? I mean, of course, as
    far as we know. Or did some of it (possibly) originate from non-living
    chemical reactions on the early earth?

    I know -- this is probably a "dumb" question. It did seem to me that part of
    the Gold hypothesis partly hung on the answer to that question.

    If the answer is "yes," and we find oil on Mars (or Europa), does that mean
    necessarily that life once existed there?

    Hoss (aka Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com