RE: The truth will prevail (was Re: The Fourth Day falsifies

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 18:14:11 EDT

    Concordism )
    Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 18:06:12 -0000
    Sender: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu

    Stephen writes

    >Why don't you tell us how YOU interpret Genesis 1 to be scientifically
    >accurate...

    Well, Stephen, I'm not a book writer. In the past I've referred
    folks to the folks who have done the "hard work." But, I love a
    discussion/debate as much as the next guy. So, here goes

    A) There are real scientific events which chronologically match
        up with the creation "days." The odds of the Genesis writer
        guessing this accurately are extremely slim to none.
    B) We all know God had something to do with Genesis One. If He
        had said humans came before fish, that would close the book
        on this discussion.
    C) YEC is a scientific disaster. For that to be right, God would
        have to be incredibly "deceptive." I prefer to look for alternate
        interpretations.

    >What about angiosperms?

    Webster's seems to define them as plants with seeds, so I'll assume
    that you are referring to Gen 1:12 "The earth brought forth vegetation,
    plants yielding seed..."

    FWIW, it makes the most sense to me to think of the creation days as
    overlapping. Just as "your day" overlaps "your parent's day." Or,
    a day marks the beginning, or "dawning" of a new phase of creation.
    (I don't know if that answers your question).

    >Is it on the same lines as Hugh Ross' Reason's to Believe
    >scenario?

    Hugh has his strengths and weaknesses. A quote on the inside cover
    of The Genesis Question (1998), mentions that the book doesn't
    provide a complete answer. I wasn't terribly impressed. We have
    enough information now to do a better job.

    Jim