Re: Bear sacrifice

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 18:13:17 EDT

    Adrian Teo wrote:

    > Hello George,

             No, a strong statement of single predestination does not require one to
    hold double predestination.
             My point, however, was not to debate this particular thesis (though I
    can) but to indicate the immediate object of Luther's statement about the
    fallibility of councils.

    > > Luther's positive attitude toward I Nicea, I
    > > Constantinople, Ephesus & Chalcedon is shown in his
    > > considerably later essay
    > > "On the Councils and the Church" (LW 41). He does not indeed
    > > say that they
    > > were infallible but simply that their doctrinal decisions
    > > were correct because
    > > they were in accord with scripture.
    >
    > With all due respect, knowing that you are Lutheran, does this statement not
    > seem to suggest that Luther is acting as the final arbiter of what is in
    > accord with scripture and what isn't? I ask this question in the most
    > respectful manner, and I pray that you will not misundertand me and feel
    > offended.

             Luther did have a pretty good opinion of himself as an expositor. He
    was not, however, an advocate of the notion that every Christian is free to
    interpret scripture as he or she wishes. Scripture is to be read with a
    christological focus ("all scripture everywhere speaks only of Christ") & is to
    be interpreted within the context of the church. The Lutheran tradition has
    always taken seriously the church's tradition of interpretation - which is not
    the same thing as accepting it as normative. (It does, however, mean that the
    Fathers cannot be simply dismissed as a bunch of old dead guys, as Jim Eisele
    does so charmingly in another post.)
             But the point that the decisions of ecumenical councils are correct
    because they are in accord with scripture is not a novelty. Athanasius, e.g.,
    argues that the decision of Nicea is no novelty but simply a clear statement of
    what scripture teaches when interpreted by the rule of faith.

    > > It is also worth noting that III Constantinople
    > > condemned Pope Honorius
    > > as a heretic, so it is not easy to maintain the infallibility
    > > of both popes and
    > > councils.
    >
    > Pope St. Leo II was the one who condemned Pope Honorius I. But it was for
    > *negligence of duty* in the face of the heresy of Sergius. Honorius had not
    > spoken ex cathedra, so infallibility had not been involved.

            He was also condemned by III Constantinople. I think it questionable to
    treat his Monothelite views as merely private theological opinion & the
    difference between his statement of them & speaking ex cathedra is something of
    an anachronism. But this is something that Romans & Orthodox &
    Protestants have
    been arguing about for >1300 years now.

             I'm happy to continue this discussion but it seems well outside the
    science-religion area - & certainly has nothing to do anymore with "Bear
    sacrifice"!

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy