RE: The origin of oil

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 11:28:32 EDT

    Hi Burgy,

    You wrote:
    >Glenn -- is it a fact that all the oil we pump up from the earth has its
    >origin in organic (i.e. from once living) material? I mean, of course, as
    >far as we know. Or did some of it (possibly) originate from non-living
    >chemical reactions on the early earth?

    I probably answered this in my note to Blake.
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200204/0688.html

    I do think natural gas comes out of the earth but not in sufficient
    quantities or rates or concentrations to power our civilization. Oil comes
    from degraded dead marine animals and I think the evidence for that is
    pretty solid. Gold tries to claim differently, has some interesting points
    to make but in the end I don't think they carry weight. The fossil
    biomarkers in oil seem conclusive. I didn't mention porphyrins which are a
    decay product of chlorophyll. They are found in oil also.

    personal stories of struggle