Re: Adam vs. 'adam / one cult's solution?

From: MikeSatterlee@cs.com
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 16:19:49 EDT

    Hello Suart,

    You wrote: You seem to know an awful lot about Christian Scientists to
    declare that they 'cannot read the Bible objectively'.

    By that I only meant the obvious. That Christian Scientists are strong
    believers in the biblical interpretations of Mary Baker Eddy. As such, they
    all read the Bible with the preconceived notion that the way in which she
    interpreted many passages of scripture was the way God intended all those
    passages to be interpreted. Reading the Bible while strongly holding such a
    large set of preconceived notions about how many of its passages were meant
    to be understood can hardly be considered to be reading the Bible objectively.

    You wrote: I'm not sure what you believe the Holy Spirit to be but I believe
    it to be the divine inspiration of Truth and Love,

    I do not consider the Holy Spirit to be an "it." I consider the Holy Spirit
    to be a He. For I consider the Holy Spirit to be God Himself and an equal
    part of the Holy Trinity. Since you don't seem to believe this way about the
    Holy Spirit, I would guess Mary Baker Eddy also didn't understand the Holy
    Spirit as I have just described Him.

    You wrote: Mary Baker Eddy was divinely inspired by this Spirit of Truth and
    Love as she spent half her lifetime studying the Bible to glean it's
    spiritual significance and application to each and every human need.

    "Divinely inspired"? Says who? I've spent half my life studying the Bible
    too. Does that make me "divinely inspired"?

    You wrote: She wrote her findings out in Science and Health which underwent
    dozens of revisions as she strove to elucidate Christian Science more
    perfectly.

    If she was "divinely inspired" why did her work have to undergo dozens of
    revisions? Since it did, what makes you so sure it was "divinely inspired"?

    You wrote: there is a growing body of evidence that prayer for spiritual
    healing does heal physical, mental and moral problems.

    I know of no Christian who will disagree with that.

    You wrote: Mrs. Eddy never claimed she was a prophetess, as you state. In
    fact she would be the first to denounce such a proclamation. Christian
    Science teaches the exact opposite in fact, that deification of the person is
    quite clearly a violation of the first commandment.

    Pure semantics. The "Governing Body" of Jehovah's Witnesses claim to be
    appointed by Christ over "all His belongings" and they say they act as God's
    only channel for truth on the earth. However, they say they are not
    infallible and are not inspired in the same way the writers of scripture
    were. They prefer to say they are "guided" by God's Spirit. What a bunch of
    double talk! Either someone is "inspired by God" or they are not. They are
    either a prophet of God or they are an ordinary person just like the rest of
    us. For you to say that the writings of Mary Baker Eddy were "inspired by
    God" but then say that she was not a prophet of God is just as much double
    talk as that which the JW "Governing Body" feeds their followers. Is it OK
    with you if I call them a "cult"?

    You wrote: Anyway, I would rather engage in a constructive discussion of this
    or any other topics ... In the spirit of Christs charity, I suggest we call a
    truce.

    That sounds good to me. Unless you start saying some really nutty stuff. Then
    I may just have to call you on it.

    You wrote: and seal the deed with a declaration of tolerance of other peoples
    beliefs.

    Does that include tolerance of Satanic cults which practice child sacrifices?
    Just wondering.

    In Christ,

    Mike