Re: Adam vs. 'adam

From: MikeSatterlee@cs.com
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 02:47:28 EDT

    Dick Fischer wrote: Apparently you believe in somebody (nameless) who was
    created in God's image from whom we all descend. Along came Adam 6,000 -
    7,000 years ago who was also created in the image of God.

    Makes sense to me.

    Dick wrote: Although you could make a case that Adam was such an important
    biblical figure that even his name ('adam) became generic for "man," it would
    be harder to establish a rationale for why men were called 'adam before there
    even was an Adam. Especially when there is another name for man that could
    have been used - 'ish. Had it been the intent of the writer of Genesis to
    refer to those who he thought were prior to Adam, I am certain the word for
    "man" would not have been 'adam.

    I think it would have been. Why? Because I believe God purposely derived the
    name "Adam" from the race of spirit beings He had earlier created and earlier
    called 'adam. Why would He do that? Because I believe He intended for the
    story of Adam and Eve in Eden to mirror His creation of the race of man
    ('adam) He had previously created. I believe Adam and Eve were created by God
    for the purpose of serving as a small scale picture of the human race He had
    previously created.

    God created Adam from preexisting life, the dust of the ground, which when
    viewed under a microscope is seen to be filled with life, just as He had
    previously created the human race from preexisting life. God gave Adam a wife
    who came from his own gene pool, small as it was, just as the wives had He
    had given to the men He had earlier created had come from their husbands'
    gene pools. God had a special relationship with Adam and Eve, as His
    relationship with the previously created human race was special in much the
    same way. God gave Adam and Eve a garden home in the middle of a barren land,
    just as the home He previously gave to the human race was the only "garden
    spot" in our barren solar system, and possibly the only "garden spot" in our
    entire barren universe. God made all the animals in Eden subject to Adam and
    Eve, just as He had earlier subjected all animals on earth to the human race
    He had previously created. God arranged things so that Adam and Eve would
    acquire an intimate "knowledge of good AND evil," in order for them to gain a
    personal knowledge of why God's ways are best, a knowledge that would serve
    them well for all eternity. He had earlier done the same thing for the entire
    human race.

    God offered to give eternal life to Adam and Eve if they could manage to live
    truly righteous lives, which meant obeying God even in what some might
    consider to be a very "trivial" matter. He had made essentially the same
    offer to all members of the human race He had previously created, though it
    was an unspoken offer and the "trivial" commands they had to obey to receive
    eternal life were all those which came from their God-given consciences.
    Because Adam and Eve showed themselves to be less than perfectly righteous
    God judged them to be unworthy of eternal life. God had, for the same reason,
    also judged all members of the human race He had previously created to be
    unworthy of eternal life. Because Adam and Eve proved themselves to be
    unworthy of eternal life God expelled them from their garden home and
    condemned Adam ('adam) to return to the dust from which he came. God had, in
    effect, earlier done the same thing to the race of man ('adam) He had
    previously created. God covered Adam and Eve's shameful condition, their
    nakedness, with coverings (animal skins) He Himself had made, coverings which
    required the shedding of blood. Just as God Himself had earlier made
    provision for covering over the shameful (sinful) condition of the entire
    race of man ('adam) He had previously made. A provision He made by means of a
    "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." (Rev. 13:8)

    I could elaborate further on this same theme. But I think you now understand
    how I understand the story of Adam and Eve, and why I think God's choice of
    the name "Adam" for the man He created and placed in Eden was a very
    appropriate one.