Re: Oil Tidbits

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 06:58:43 EDT

    There is a fellow who was featured in the magazine Red
    Herring (I think, or Wired) about two years ago or so
    who has a theory regarding the source of oil, natural
    gas, etc. His theory was not that it was biomass
    generated, but that there was a process through which
    this stuff was made deep in the crust,and then it
    forces itself up through the crust by the same or a
    related process.

    I cannot remember many of the technical details, other
    than it posited that the source of a lot of
    hydrocarbons we were pumping up was not organic matter
    from the surface. I am trying to do a google search
    to see if I can find it with the bare scraps of
    information that I can recall.

    Here is one such guy (this may be the guy the Red
    Herring article was about, I can't recall for
    certain): Thomas Gold "The Deep Hot Biosphere"
    Synopsis
    Physicist Thomas Gold here explains the idea of a
    deep, hot biosphere: the theory that there exists,
    deep within the ground, a bacterial realm containing
    greater mass than all surface life. This idea has
    implications for the origins of life, the origins of
    natural gas and petroleum, and the distribution of
    life in the universe.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0387985468/026-6707989-2787637
    Here is a link to one of Gold's papers:
    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/tg21/origins.html

    Here is an article describing some anecdotal data
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/24/101927/375

    I don't know how much any of this has made it into
    peer reviewed literature.

    Now, perhaps, someone who knows about the postulated
    mechanisms involved can comment on this stuff.

    Regards