Re: Adam and Eve

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 01:30:11 EDT

    Hi Blake, you wrote:

    >At the end of the day, I do not see what difference to
    >Christian faith it makes if we try to identify a
    >particular, historical Adam or not.

    To one who is already a Christian there are a lot of things that
    don't make any difference. On this list we argue all kinds of things
    that at the end of the day leaves us all Christians the same as we
    started. So why do we discuss anything? It is to improve our
    message so that we can make disciples of all the world.

    There has been no method of apology that regards the first eleven
    chapters of Genesis as having historical integrity, and at the same
    time has respect for modern science. The only method that has worked
    to date has been to assign early Genesis to some condescending
    category such as allegory, poetry, tradition, mythology, fable, etc.
    What I have tried to show is that early Genesis has been
    misunderstood as a Hebrew rendition of the beginnings of mankind.
    What I believe it to be is a Hebrew rendition of the history of the
    Jewish race - not the human race.

    So I believe Genesis 2:4-11 is a fairly accurate historical narrative
    of the Adamites-Semites who lived in southern Mesopotamia from about
    7,000 to about 4,000 years ago.

    Therefore, when one declares that it is not possible for man to have
    descended from the apes when the Bible declares that we all were
    created in the image of God. We can say that it is. Adam, who lived
    about 7,000 years ago was created in the image, and generic man
    descended from higher primates.

    On the flip side, we have those who reject the gospel message since
    they believe that because we descended from apes, therefore the Bible
    cannot be true. If untrue at the beginning, how can you trust it at
    all? The answer here is that we misunderstood early Genesis, and
    that properly translated and interpreted there is no real conflict
    between a literal rending of Genesis and the latest findings of
    modern science.

    With a better, more harmonious message we should gain new followers
    of Christ and fill those rooms in that big mansion in the sky.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"