RE: Adam and Eve

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 12:40:13 EDT

    Hello Blake,

    Agreed. However, my point (as opposed to Mike's) is a theological, rather
    than scientific one, and that is that whatever period in time one chooses to
    place Adam in, the theological issue is whether it is necessary for this
    historical Adam to be the source of the condition of sin that we are all in
    as Adam's descendents.

    > Second. The doctrine of original sin does not seem to
    > me dependent on identifying a specific, particular
    > Adam. It seems to me that the doctrine of original
    > sin can just as well be supported as a metaphorical
    > discussion of human nature, which at some point became
    > manifest in hominids when the knowledge of good and
    > evil came into their consciousness and their
    > subsequent rejection of the good.

    Paul's argument in Romans 5 (esp. 18) is that there is an obvious parallel
    between how one man's sin can affect us all, and one man's obedience can
    also affect us all. This analogy and his argument breaks down if you were to
    adopt the metaphorical interpretation of Adam.

    > Third. The doctrine of original sin as an exegetical
    > gloss stemming from the second century does not
    > receive equal treatment in all Christian traditions.
    > Christian faith and the saving grace of Jesus the
    > Christ do not depend on an historical Adam. To say
    > that it does is an exegetical gloss.

    I have shown in an earlier post citing Orthodox and Catholic sources that
    ALL three main branches of Christianity accept Adam as the source of
    original sin.

    > Fourth. Christ as the "second Adam" is not dependent
    > upon on identifying a particular, historical Adam in
    > the same way as Jesus is essential as an historically
    > identifiable person who is the Christ.

    Again, I point you to Romans 5.

    > Fifth. As an apologetic, it is a weak tactic to use
    > against those who reject Christianity generally, since
    > they are unlikely to be swayed. It is likely to
    > appear to those outside the Christian tradition as an
    > ad hoc argument. Not that it might not be right, but
    > it is simply not persuasive to those outside the
    > tradition.

    I fully agree. But it has nothing to do with tactics. This is a discussion
    about doctrine.

    > Sixth. It seems primarily concerned with supporting
    > the protestant view of sola scripture which both the
    > Catholic tradition and Orthodox tradition reject and
    > not all protestant or anabaptist traditions take in a
    > literal meaning, especially regarding the Old
    > Testament.

    Orthodoxy and Catholicism has historically taken MORE, not less of a literal
    understanding of Scripture, especially in areas where they disagree with
    Protestantism. In issues of faith & works, real presence of Christ, and
    authority for example, it is Protestants who reject the literal
    understanding of the relevant passages of Scripture. Therefore, this has
    nothing to do with supporting sola Scriptura.

    > At the end of the day, I do not see what difference to
    > Christian faith it makes if we try to identify a
    > particular, historical Adam or not. It seems to me
    > that it is not useful as an apologetic either. It may
    > be edifying to those who want to literally reconcile
    > scripture with what we know about historical facts,
    > but not much more. So, what difference does it make?
    > Please enlighten me.

    I believe that the doctrine of original sin is closely tied to our
    understanding of salvation. To fully understand the solution, one needs to
    understand the problem. Of course, that is not to say that one necessarily
    needs a correct understanding of problem and solution in order to be saved.
    I hope I will not be misunderstood on this point.

    Blessings,

    Adrian.