RE: Oil Tidbits

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 09:18:02 EDT

    Hi Don

    I have worked for big oil, medium oil and tiny oil. I have worked for Sr.
    VP's, worked in technology groups, and line groups. I have never, ever
    observed this resistance you speak of. I think it is one of those urban
    myths that people prefer to believe. Of course, I work in oil and might be
    part of the conspiracy of resistance. :-)

    I have also looked at all available energy sources and none of them seem
    capable of replacing oil in as environmentally freindly manner as even oil
    is. By the end of this century, we will have to replace approximately 65% of
    the world's energy supply with something else.

    As to ANWR? We are going to want that oil, but by the time people open it
    up because they have long gas lines again, it will be another 10 years
    before the oil will get to market. Take a look at
    http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/Future_oil_supply.htm

    for what I think is about to happen. ANWR will not solve the problems
    outlined there, it will merely push the day back a very small amount of
    time.

    If given a
    >slow phase out of petros I'm sure these companies can change to a new
    >technology. There are a "few" people with homes in the southwest
    >that do not
    >even use the public power grid or water.

    Yeah, great for sunny Arizona. That won't work in cloudy, cold and rainy
    Scotland. And what you forget is the energy put into creating those solar
    cells they use, which is quite considerable. That energy comes from oil and
    natural gas!

      The homes are built so efficient
    >and using some small scale power sources, like wind and solar, have been
    >able to run without any external sources.

    REad that web site and then come back on this issue.

      My only concern is that if these
    >companies don't gradually phase out of the petor and into some other techs
    >then when the && hits the fan, they won't be prepared. Some say that
    >changing to quick will hurt the economy, but waiting for the sudden halt of
    >supply, will be worse. Now that I'm out of breath, what's your take?

    My take is http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/Future_oil_supply.htm

    personal stories of struggle