Men before Adam

From: MikeSatterlee@cs.com
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 00:10:47 EDT

    Hello Adrian,

    You wrote: you read Gen Ch1 and Ch2 chronologically, and as separate events.
    This is a major theological innovation, and as far as I know, have never been
    seriously proposed, let alone accepted.

    I don't see anything very radical about reading the Bible chronologically.
    The idea that the events in Gen. chapters 1 and 2 are separate events makes a
    lot of sense to me, especially when we remove the chapter and verse
    divisions, which of course were not part of the original inspired text.
    Understanding Genesis in this way was not my original idea. I've read it
    explained this way by others a few times. Though I can't recall exactly who
    and where right now. But I really don't see that it should make any
    difference. If understanding the Bible in this way helps to reconcile
    scripture and science, it does not bother me in the least that it is a rather
    new and somewhat novel way of understanding Genesis. When old ways of doing
    things no longer work new ways of doing them must be found.

    You seem to very much a traditional fellow. And that's good, so long as the
    traditions you are supporting are important for the Christian faith to hold
    on to. But I don't see that the traditional understanding of Genesis which we
    are discussing is one of them. In fact I see that needlessly clinging to it
    is hurting the cause of Christ. For as I see things, your "traditional"
    understandings of Adam being literally the first man and all of us being
    literally his descendants conflict with several scientific realities. Because
    they do I think they must be misunderstandings of the scriptures. That is, if
    the Bible is true, which I think it is. Of course, I will gladly again
    embrace any and all traditional understandings of Genesis, a young universe
    and young earth, a six 24-hour day creation, a "poof" type of creation with
    no biological evolution involved, Adam literally being the first man, a
    global flood, mankind's three major races coming from Noah's three sons, all
    earth's different languages coming into existence at the tower of Babel, and
    fallen angels marrying women and producing children. that is if you can show
    me that any of these things do not conflict with scientific realities. If you
    cannot, and if I still want to accept the Bible as containing the truthful
    inspired words of God, then I must do as I have done. That is, see if there
    may be a way of understanding the Bible that does not conflict with
    scientific realities.

    You seem to be quite certain that the Bible tells us that Adam was the first
    man in an absolute biological and chronological sense. And you also seem to
    feel that such an understanding does not conflict with scientific realities.
    So maybe you can help me overcome the problems I now have reconciling this
    "traditional" understanding of Adam with what I now believe to be very well
    established science. If you can provide me with reasonable answers to a few
    questions I should be able to again believe that Adam quite literally the
    first man.

    1. In your attempt to reconcile what science tells us about how long man has
    lived on earth, I take it you must believe that the "Adam" of Genesis 2 and 3
    lived a long time ago. Why then does Bible chronology indicate that only some
    4,000 years passed between the creation of Adam and the birth of Christ?
    2. If you say there are "gaps" in the Genesis 5 and 11 genealogies, what was
    the point in the author of Genesis recording all that chronological
    information?
    3. When do you think Adam was created?
    4. If later than 30,000 years ago, how do you answer scientists who say that
    men just like ourselves have continually inhabited places like Africa, Asia
    and Australia for at least that long?
    5. If more than 10,000 years ago, how do you answer scientists who say that
    nowhere on earth did men raise crops and heard animals, activities that the
    Bible tells us Adam and his children engaged in, more than 10,000 years ago?
    6. Who were the people living in the land 'east of Eden' whom Cain was afraid
    might kill him? (Gen. 4:14-17)
    7. Though the Bible tells us God does not hold children responsible for the
    sins of their parents (Deuteronomy 24:16; 2 Kings 14:6; Ezekiel 18:20), the
    doctrine of "the fall" of mankind says that all who have not accepted Christ
    as their Lord will be eternally condemned by God because of something Adam
    did. How do you explain this apparent contradiction?
    8. The science of genetics has determined that information coded within the
    nucleotide sequences of human RNA and DNA is fully responsible for
    determining what characteristics will be inherited by a couple's children.
    And this branch of science has proven conclusively that a human being's
    genetic code cannot be altered by actions as ordinary as those performed by
    Adam in the garden of Eden. However, advocates of "the fall" doctrine say
    that Adam and Eve's original nature somehow changed at the time of their
    disobedience and that their altered nature was then passed on to their
    descendants. How do you believe the act of eating a piece of fruit was able
    to alter Adam and Eve's genetic codes?

    If you can provide me with reasonable answers to these questions I will be
    glad to again accept the "traditional" understanding of "Adam and Eve." If
    you cannot provide such answers I think you should consider the possibility
    that some long held "traditions" may be based on misunderstandings of the
    scriptures. And the possibility that the majority, even a large majority, of
    Christians may be wrong about some of what they believe the Bible "clearly"
    teaches.

    Mike