RE: Men before Adam

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 14:55:22 EDT

    Hello Mike,

    Actually I did in an earlier post. Did that not get to you? If not, I
    apologize, and ask if you would repost those questions. Thanks!

    > You wrote: While your ideas are certainly very interesting, I
    > don't see any
    > good support for them, neither from Scripture (1Cr 15:45 And so it is
    > written, The first man Adam was made a living soul;), nor
    > from church history.
    >
    > The only place in Scripture Adam is referred to as the
    > "first" man is in 1
    > Cor.15:45-47. There Adam is called "the first man." But there
    > we also find
    > that Jesus is called "the second man." The context shows that
    > the writer of
    > those words was referring to Adam as the "first" man only in
    > his relative
    > chronological position to Christ. In other words, since Adam
    > came "first" and
    > Christ came "second," Adam came before Christ.

    Actually Verse 45 says "the first man Adam" in contrast to "the last Adam".
    It seems to me that it would be more natural if one were simply drawing a
    parallel to say, "the first Adam" and "the last Adam". But instead, I see an
    intentional addition of the word "anthropos".

    Adrian.